a few words about what we do
eGardenDesign is a website dedicated to providing you with all of the latest info on garden related products and design ideas. We cover everything from plants to designing and building your own garden room.
We are constantly updating our blogs with tips and tricks to help you achieve your garden goals. So we keep updating our site to give you all of the latest information within the garden world. If you have something you would like us to cover then please get in touch. eGardenDesign is completely free for anyont to use and we would love to see your projects also!
Tricks and tips
As much as we believe there is nothing better than a lush natural grass in your garden, artificial grass has come a long way over the last few years. We have tested some of the most realistic artificial turf products to give you the best looking lawn all year round.
Garden Fencing to last a lifetime
We believe that replacing your garden fences shouldn’t be something you need to do more than once in your lifetime. So we searched the market for a replacement garden fence that will offer so much more than the traditional timber fence.
Landscape Design - Tips for building a Garden Room
Garden rooms can be a stunning feature for your garden! With so many new and innovative products on the market, building a garden room can seem like a difficult task. But we offer advice on how to build the ultimate garden room. From frame structure to adding Opening Rooflights – We’ve got it covered.
Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (M-class), or EPDM, is a synthetic rubber that is extremely durable and used across a variety of applications. EPDM is heat and weather resistant with its two main ingredients derived from natural gas and oil, making it an ideal flat roofing material.
So what cane EPDM be used for in the garden? Well, there are actually lots of uses.
EPDM can be used as a pond liner! Ponds can make a stunning feature in any garden and are a fun and relatively easy task to undertake yourself. To ensure a long lasting and watertight pond, a good pond liner is required. In summary, a flexible PVC or rubber pond liner will last 20 years and more provided they are installed above a protective underlay, secured in place with appropriate edging material and protected from regular clawed animal visits. A well maintained and cared-for pond should give you years of pleasure.
EPDM can be used as a flat roof material. If you plan to have a shed, workshop, garden room or other garden structure then the chances are the roof will need to be weather tight. EPDM is a fantastic flat roof material. EPDM is a synthetic rubber which is completely weather-resistant and UV-resistant. Thanks to its extreme elasticity of more than 500%, it is the most flexible single ply membranes for waterproofing flat roofs, buildings and facades. EPDM is a very popular material within the building and construction sector and we strongly recommend it! There are a few manufacturers but Firestone EPDM seems to be the top choice.
Other used include o-rings, glass-run channels, radiators, garden and appliance hose, tubing, pond liners, washers, belts, electrical insulation, solar panel heat collectors, and speaker cone surrounds. It is also used as a medium for water resistance in electrical cable-jointing, roofing membranes, geomembranes, rubber mechanical goods, plastic impact modification, thermoplastic, vulcanizates, and many other applications
Do you have any other ideas what EPDM could be used for in the Home or Garden? We would love to hear your thoughts and ideas.
ColourFence is fast becoming a well known fencing product that many people across the UK are turning to for a long lasting fencing solution. But the only downside has always been the upfront cost, so we have compared alternative products to see what is the best solution.
ColourFence Says “We firmly believe that ColourFence is the best garden fencing product on the market today. Not only is our product great, but our service is also too. Our goal is to provide you with a metal garden fence that is attractive and fit for purpose without costly, time-consuming annual treatments. Furthermore, when you purchase our fencing, you’re investing in your gardens long-term future, which is why our garden fencing comes with a 25-year guarantee.”
We searched the online market to see if there was any alternative to this innovative fencing idea. And we found a strong competitor.
Permafence® is guaranteed to provide you with immediate relief from the pain associated with painting your fence annually. Permafence® is a premium Metal Garden Fence that is available in a range of finishes and colours. There will be no more damage to your fence due to high winds, rot or excessive moisture. Permafence® metal garden fencing has been independantly wind tunnel tested to withstand wind speeds of upto 130 mph.
So what’s the difference?
Well there are slight differences in the manufacturing and finished material, but both products are a coated metal fence designed for both commercial and residential use.
Permafence® is Plastisol Coated High Quality Metal Fencing whereas ColourFence is PowderCoated, slight difference but both are durable.
Permafence is coming out the cheaper of the two and I dont think there is any downside to the product itself, so this is the choice we would opt for!
See attached a customers Permafence recently installed by one of PermaFence’s own installers.
We give you 5 reasons why you should create a garden room or office. As well as top tips on how to plan and create your own stunning garden room!
A garden office is an office in a garden. This is usually separate to a house, being used as a dedicated office space by a professional homeworker or by a home-based business.
- Garden Rooms don’t need planning permision. Garden rooms or buildings do not require planning permission, if they fall within permitted development guidelines. To classify as an ‘outbuilding’ under permitted development rules, it must not contain sleeping accommodation and must be single storey with a maximum eaves height of 2.5m
- Garden Rooms can be attached to the house. Garden rooms can be attached to the house. Swift Garden Rooms are one of a handful of garden room suppliers who can design their garden rooms so that they can be attached to your house, creating an integrated and flexible living space.
- Garden Rooms can boost the value of your home. Boost the value of your property without the inconvenience of getting a planning permission for an extension or loft conversion. Studies have shown that adding a summerhouse or garden building to your property can add up to 5% of value
- Garden Rooms can be used for many things! Hobby room. Gym. Home Spa. Yoga Ashram. Your own local pub. Memorabilia room. Vintage game arcade. Home office. The use for a garden room can be endless!
- Garden Rooms can be used all year round. A garden room can be fully insulated, double glazed, electrically wired building usually made from wood. Whilst a garden room can be attached to the house rather like a conservatory they are most often stand alone buildings situated in the back garden. You can even install a Skylight or Roof Window into most Garden Rooms.